Home School Link Worker
Resources to Help with Home Schooling and Lockdown:
- Top Tips for Home Schooling - click here
- Helping your child in Lockdown - click here
- Spotting Anxiety - click here
- Anxiety - Supporting your Teen - click here
Useful links for family support - click here
Hello, my name is Paula Waspe and I am the Home School Link Worker at Three Rivers Academy.
During term time I work in partnership with parents/carers, schools and other agencies to support families, aiming to reduce current stressful situations and prevent future difficulties.
My aim is to ensure that all children enjoy school and are happy and secure.
The role of a Home School Link Worker (HSLW) includes:
· Offering support in school,
· Supporting parents/carers and families,
· Improving attendance and punctuality,
· Promoting positive behaviour.
The HSLW can help by providing:
· One to one support, listening ear and advice,
· Signposting to other agencies - i.e. Information of local services and community activities,
· Support groups for parents/carers,
· Support in accessing Early Help Intervention.
Who can the HSLW help:
· Parents/carers experiencing behavioural issues with their children;
· Families who are reacting to change, such as parental separation or bereavement;
· Parents/carers to improve attendance and punctuality;
· Difficulties impacting on family life e.g. illness, domestic violence, disability, financial difficulties;
· Signposting – providing information on local services, benefit entitlements and community activities;
· Completing forms and documentation for benefit applications;
· Children who are experiencing difficult times or are withdrawn or anxious;
How to contact the HSLW:
Parents/carers, school and children can ask me to become involved. With your consent we will explore the difficulties your child is experiencing and identify the best way forward.
Should a child protection issue be identified, I am legally bound to follow Government guidelines.
You can contact me in confidence via: email: email@example.com
telephone: 01932 242994
Here are some useful links to organisations that can offer family support:
· Surrey's Family Information Services provides information, advice and assistance for families with children and young people aged up to 19 years (up to 25 years old for young people with special educational needs). https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/people-and-community/families
· Care for the Family has lots of useful leaflets to download and articles to help build a healthy family https://www.careforthefamily.org.uk/
· Family Voice Surrey supports families of children and young people with additional needs in Surrey https://www.familyvoicesurrey.org/
· Family Lives is a charity with over three decades of experience helping parents with challenging family life. https://www.familylives.org.uk/
· Young minds provides advice and support relating to children's mental health https://youngminds.org.uk/
· Kooth offers a range of therapeutic tools & wellbeing activities including text-based counselling https://www.kooth.com/
· North Surrey Domestic Abuse Service offers confidential support https://www.nsdas.org.uk/
· Money Matters offers financial advice http://www.moneymattersweb.co.uk/
· Think U Know aims to protect children online https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/
· Young carers looking after someone in the family https://www.actionforcarers.org.uk/who-we-help/young-carers-under-18/
· Citizens Advice Bureau offers confidential advice https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/