Sixth Form Bursary
What is the 16-19 Bursary Fund?
This is a limited bursary fund allocated to Schools and Colleges so that they may provide help to young people facing financial hardship and whose access to or completion of full time education might be inhibited by financial considerations. The bursary can help to pay for things such as; clothing, books and equipment for your course, as well as transport and lunch on days you study.
There are 2 types of 16 to 19 bursary. The first type is worth up to £1,200 and you are entitled to it if at least one of the following applies:
- you're in or recently left local authority care
- you get Income Support or Universal Credit in your name
- you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in your name and either Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit
- you get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name and either ESA or Universal Credit
The second type is a discretionary bursary and it is up to the school to decide how much students get and what it's used for. Access to this is dependent upon your family income.
Bursaries have been set at the following levels:-
· Household income below £12,000 per year: £30 per week.
· Household income between £12,001 and under £18,000 per year: £20 per week
· Household income between £18.001 and under £22,000 per year: £10 per week
· Discretionary amounts above £30 per individual needs as agreed by 6th form Head.
Part of the money in the fund is also offered as one-off payments where students are experiencing short-term financial hardship. It is for specific educational purposes e.g. books, equipment, examination re-sit fees, university applications fees, university visits, uniform, educational visits and transport costs for school trips.
Registration for this scheme is confidential and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.
How to apply
To apply for the Weekly Bursary Fund or the Discretionary 16-19 Bursary please complete the form below and return it to Mr. Scrivener in the Sixth Form office with the required up-to-date evidence of total household income.
If you have any queries about either scheme please contact a member of the Sixth Form Team via email Info@threerivers.thpt.org.uk
More information on the Bursary Fund can be found here on the Gov.UK website.